Barley Flour-(Jau Ataa)
Barley is considered an ‘ancient grain’, The grain has a chewy, satisfying texture and subtle nutty flavour, making it a perfect way to bulk up meals.
You will often find barley in bread, beer and soups, but this grain can be used in anything, from porridge and healthy muffins, to granola and pancakes. It’s truly a super grain, but doesn’t come with a ‘superfood’ price tag. It has many benefits like:
- Can help with weight loss.
- Helps control blood sugar levels and improve insulin response, reducing risk of type 2 diabetes.
- Helps reduce blood pressure.
- Improves lipid profile and reduces cholesterol, which reduces risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Helps reduce inflammation due to levels of antioxidants and phytochemicals.
- Contains moderate protein content (10 percent) and contains a protein complex which forms gluten (although a smaller amount than wheat).
- High in soluble fibre, specifically beta-glucan, which is beneficial for gut health.
- Has a low glycaemic index (GI) to assist blood glucose control.
- High in potassium and low in sodium and fat.